Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What I'll take from Texas.


Texas... everything is bigger there. Did you know that?

Actually I didn't find that to be totally true, but there are more rhinestones on jeans there. But that's neither here nor there.

The point is, this big 'ole state will always have a place in my heart.

I got my first job as a nurse in Texas.
On my first day the CEO gave a really great speech to a room full of nervous/excited county hospital new-hires.
Like a good Baptist preacher, he had three points:

     -own it
     -seek joy
     -don't be a jerk

Now, that's good theology.
That speech has attached itself to me and influenced the way I view my job, and my calling.

But, even more than the speech, the women I got to work beside; they made me who I am today. They showed me what nursing really is, not just attending physical needs, but emotional and spiritual. Not just following orders, but really advocating, asking questions, and using creativity in care. I am so endlessly thankful for my time with them. So thankful.

My patients taught me too. They reminded me what is truly important and what's not.
They reminded me that, no matter what the circumstances, Jesus has not forgotten about them. Not a single one of them.
So thankful.

I met Evangeline Lee in Texas.
She will always be my Texas baby, "my bright Texas rose..." (as my dad calls her in a song he wrote). We found out about her, met her, brought her home, sang to her, rocked her, and she learned to crawl in Texas. I will cherish these memories.

I fell more in love with Joe in Texas.
Joe Handy is a rockstar. He is patient, enduring my stories from work, my cooking failures, my emotions, I could go on and on. He is kind, and leads me with a quiet confidence that is easy to trust. He trusts me, he encourages me, he is slow to anger, he is hilarious, and I love who I am when I'm with him. So thankful for my boo.

Texas was Joe's idea. Sometimes I joke that he tricked me, but truly, I am so thankful for our time spent in the lone star state. Bedazzled behinds and all.

No comments: